- Business Name: Turtle Island Communications
- Contact: Madonna and Melvin Yawakie
- Tribal Affiliation: Turtle Mountain and Zuni Pueblo
- 2513 94th Avenue North
- Brooklyn Park, MN 55444
- Telephone: 763-424-6257
SHOWCASING MNIBA's FEATURED BUSINESS:
Turtle Island Communications
Who is Turtle Island Communications?
Our company founders developed Turtle Island Communications, Inc. (TICOM) with a clear objective in mind – to provide engineering and technical services to American Indian Tribes, organizations, and state and federal agencies that seek to improve broadband services on Tribal Lands. Tribal communities are faced with making important decisions in assessing how they will prepare themselves from crossing the Digital Divide, into an area of Digital Opportunity. Our management team brings extensive broadband industry experience, and cultural competency to assist our clients in evaluating their options to meet their short term and long term project goals.
TICOM’s mission is to develop and enhance Indian Country’s broadband infrastructure and provide value added services that are essential to stimulate economic growth and small business entrepreneurship.
How do your services impact Indian Country?
TICOM’s services will enable sustainable economic growth and provide costs effective broadband services within tribal communities. Our long term goal is to work in partnership with individual American Indian tribes to bring about long term sustainable economic benefits.
Any recent awards or recognition?
- Mel Yawakie, Executive Excellence Award, American Indian Science & Engineering Society (AISES), 2015
- Madonna Peltier Yawakie, American Indian Woman Honoree, American Indian Student Association, University of MN, 2011
- TICOM, Minnesota American Indian Entrepreneur of the Year Award, 2008